Take Our “They Said It On The Moon” Quiz

posted in: Quizzes | 9

Welcome to our second quiz!

Every Friday we’ll present a different quiz; some will feature cultural questions on spaceflight, some hardware, some operations, some history. Some quizzes will be easy, and some will be very hard. Each week we will select winners from the highest scores (that take the quiz before Monday) for a special prize(s).

Since we presented our first quiz early in the week, it is still going on, and will continue to be open through Sunday. This quiz will also close on Sunday at midnight US EDT.

This quiz, one prize: (drawn from the high scores): One copy of the “Gemini Flight Controller Orientation” DVD. (If you already have this DVD I will make a substitution)

Since we’re offering prizes we ask that you take the quiz only once, and that you do NOT use the Google machine to give us your answers. Good Luck!

They Said It On The Moon Quiz: You'll be challenged with your knowledge of who said these quotes on the Moon. Since we consider our quiz candidates to be a competent lot, but this quiz is one of our tougher tests, we've established a passing grade on this quiz of 70%. The quiz features ten questions, each worth ten points.

Name Email

Who said it on the Moon: "Look at the size of that rock!"

1 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "Look at all these good things in the MESA. Things we've seen before."

2 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "I hit it on the top with my hammer. I figured we didn't have a thing to lose."

3 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "Yes, sir, Joe. Tell me this isn't worth doing, boy."

4 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "I'm sure glad they got ol' Brer Rabbit here, back in the briar patch where he belongs."

5 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "We're number one on the runway."

6 out of 10

Who said (sang) it on the Moon: "I was strolling on the Moon one day…"

7 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "Oh boy, we got fooled on that one."

8 out of 10

Who said it on the Moon: "It has a stark beauty all its own. It's like much of the high desert of the United States."

9 out of 10
10.

Who said it on the Moon: "Manischewitz! Look at that go. Did you see that?"

10 out of 10

9 Responses

1. Dave W

I missed “(REMOVED)” I took all the audio from the ALSJ for the EVAs and put them on CD and listen to them in the car. Typically I stop at final closeout, so I’m unfamiliar with some of the language pertaining to (REMOVED). But that does sound like something Buzz would say! Thanks for a great quiz, Mark!

2. Glenn Johnson

Gee, 100% correct, that’s pretty good. Considering I had to guess on several of them.
    This was a great quiz!

• Dave W

Nice work Glenn! I had to guess on a couple of them too. In fact, I just read the (REMOVED) from Gene Cernan off the ALSJ transcript the other day, so it was still fresh on my mind. This was a great quiz, I think.

3. Jim Banke

Fun quiz, Must admit to being lucky on one guess. Some I could hear their voices as I read the quote.

• Dave W

Jim, I can relate to that. I don’t want to give the answer away, but there was one LMP whose accent is quite strong, and who I can always hear in my head when I read the transcripts. When I read Chaikin’s book I read all of this person’s lines with that accent… 🙂

• markwgray

Little story about the line to which I believe you are referring. In my “Live From The Moon” documentary Chaikin says that line, in accent, and then the LMP says it from the TV. It’s a great moment, because Kraft then comes on and says something very subdued about the same thing. Anyway, I was in the bar at Spacefest just after we premiered the documentary, and I was a bit pumped from the premiere (plus I may have been a bit merry) and this particular LMP (that I’ve known from when I did his mission DVD) comes in the bar. I looked right at him and said the line, in accent. He just smiled, shook his head and said “Well, it was…”

• Dave W

Yeah, I love it when Chaikin says that in the DVD. I’m really glad you made that film, Mark. It’s quite possibly your crown jewel so far, primarily for its accessibility to wider audiences. My wife even enjoyed it, which I think is indicative. Chaikin’s excitement is contagious too.

Your story with this particular LMP is priceless. And I’m glad he shows up at Spacefest; many of those guys would probably fear the fans and avoid it altogether.

Also, will you be narrating more films in the future? While I like some of the narrators you’ve chosen in the past, I think you do a great job on your own. And it’s probably cheaper keeping it “in the family.” 🙂

• markwgray

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated. As for narration, I actually had that whole piece cut by someone else, but when I received the recording it had a number of technical flaws that I didn’t hear when it was being voiced. Time was tight at that point and we weren’t able to reschedule a session to pick up the problems. Not sure on voicing future projects.

My favorite “one that got away” story was the Mercury set. I really wanted to have Levon Helm voice the doc that leads off that set. He played Ridley in the Right Stuff. We had basically come to an agreement, but he was more a musician than an actor and was into other things. I never could pin him down on a record date and had to finally give up. In the end I left it un-narrated, which works ok. But it would have been great with that voice.

4. Mike Nagle

Mark great idea on the quizzes. Looks like I’ll have to study up some more. I only got 60 %.