Take the “What Landing Site Is This?” Quiz

posted in: Quizzes | 12

Welcome to our Friday quiz!

I’m not sure of the difficulty on this one, it is hard to decide. I thought it was fairly easy, and I backed off some of the clues from the first draft. Looking forward to seeing the results!

This quiz will be available, but prize eligibility will end on Sunday at midnight US EDT.

This quiz, one prize: (drawn from the high scores): One copy of our Mission to the Moon set. (If you already have this set I will make a substitution)

Since we’re offering prizes we ask that you take the quiz only once, and that you do NOT use the Google machine to give us your answers. Good Luck!

What Landing Site Is This? Quiz: You'll be challenged with recognizing landing sites from space history. Since we consider our quiz candidates to be a competent lot, but this quiz is one of our tougher tests, we've established a passing grade on this quiz of 70%. The quiz features ten questions, each worth ten points.

Name

1) This manned lunar landing site was targeted twice, but only one landing occurred there.

2) This landing site saw the arrival of a spacecraft from Earth on July 20, 1976.

3) This landing site was imaged just a short time after this spacecraft landed. Imaging was also obtained of this spacecraft under its parachute before landing.

4) This landing site features "Little West Crater."

5) This landing site was checked out by a record 4 EVAs.

6) What's that I see? Is that a second spacecraft at this landing site?

7) This spacecraft carried a rover, not visible here (although the tracks can be seen).

8) This site was visited in the merry month of December.

9) This landing site was used by the spacecraft for which it was designed a total of 78 times.

10) This landing site was in an area of the Moon named for a French philosopher, mathematician and writer.

12 Responses

1. Dave W

Great quiz, Mark. I got all the Apollo questions right, at least. However, on my PC, question 2 had a broken link for its image, but somehow I managed to get it right from your description.

• markwgray

Sorry about that… the link shows up for me. I can’t see a problem in the sourcing either. If anyone else has a problem with that, please let me know…

2. Glenn Johnson

That was lots of fun. Missed the Luna 21 question (nuts!).

• markwgray

I always try to make one of the questions really tougher… that’s the one on this quiz. Especially since I put Luna 17 as an option.

3. John Pfannerstill

In a way, it could be said that Fra Mauro was actually a target of THREE lunar landings — Apollo 13, Apollo 14 and Surveyor VII. As we all know, Surveyor VII landed just north of the crater Tycho, but final targeting for that site wasn’t done until the midcourse correction. Up to that point, the option was left open for the spacecraft to be sent either to Tycho (the prime site) or Fra Mauro (the backup). Tycho ended up getting the nod. The source for this information is an interview that I have on tape with Hal Masursky that was recorded from NBC during it’s coverage of Apollo 14’s second EVA.

• markwgray

Thanks, John. I’ll make an edit for accuracy’s sake that says “manned lunar landing…”

• Dave W

Nice catch, John!

I really liked the part in Chaikin’s book when he mentions the program management office’s reluctance to land men at Tycho. If I recall one of them (Kraft maybe? I can’t remember…) quoted as saying “You’ll land at Tycho over my dead body!” I guess it was too far outside the free-return zone in case of another accident akin to 13. It’s been a while since I read Chaikin, but I do recall being engaged about the discussions surrounding other landing sites. I’m reading William Compton’s book now, and he has some pretty good discussion on these as well. I was surprised to learn of plans to land in one of the libration zones, which sounds to me like a huge technical hurdle, even today.

4. Jim Rosencrans

Dang! I was racking my brain but forgot about the standup EVA on Apollo 15. I now remember the panorama with Dave Scott standing on the LM engine cover looking out the docking hatch. Ah, those J-missions…..!

5. Jim Scotti

I got all 10 right but I have to admit Luna 21 was a 50:50 guess. I knew it wasn’t an Apollo site. The Apollo sites were all pretty easy for this Apollo geek. Thanks for the entertainment!

6. Lauren Necaise

Hi Max Peck,
    That was fun and a good study break! I didn’t do too well, but it was fun anyway. Thanks.

7. John Kovacs

I wish I could turn back time to the heady days of the Apollo programme. What was achieved technically in such a short time will never be repeated, not even with todays technology at hand. I would dearly love to be proved wrong.

8. Don

Loved it. Yep, Luna 21 was a 50/50 guess I got right.
    Great job Mark aka Max Peck. 😉